Summer is always filled with outdoor parties, BBQ's, Clam bakes, birthdays and getting together for no reason other than enjoying the weather and friends! A lot of times these gatherings include both adults AND kids (especially as you and all your friends start entering your 30's!), so having a mix of foods that will appeal to a variety of ages is necessary! I never like to come empty handed to a party, so for a recent clam bake I went to I brought these fun treats! Super easy to make and a big hit among kids AND the adults!
Now, I must disclose that these are NOT made with spinach, or beets, or super healthy flour nor ingredients from ANY nutritious food! BUT they are cute and great to bring to a summertime party, and add a change to the mix of usual chocolate chip cookies and brownies that most people make or buy. Heres what you do:
- Sugar cookie dough (premade store bought is fine here) OR sugar cookie made from recipe below
- White icing (again this can be store bought)
- Green and Red food coloring
- mini chocolate chips
Homemade Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- Green food coloring
- Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix wet in separate bowl then add the dry . Add 10-15 drops of green food coloring to the dough and mix until well combined. Add more or less depending on color you want.
- bake on parchment lined baking sheet at 375 degrees for 8-10 min
To assemble the cookies:
- Either have your homemade green sugar cookies cooled and ready, or mix in your green food coloring with your store bought dough and bake according to directions on package.
- let cookies cool , while mixing in red food coloring into your white icing. Add less or more depending on color you want.
- cut some of your cookie in half to have a watermelon like shape.
- Ice each cookie then add your mini chocolate chips to look like seeds!