Not going to lie, for years I grew up eating meatballs and spaghetti, chicken parm, baked ziti and lots of buttery garlic bread on the side...Italian food was always a staple in our house and a go to for most family get togethers as well.. Pretty sure meatballs and spaghetti was the requested birthday special for ALL of our birthdays! Well...those days are gone for me! and have certainly been healthified when I do make it. This recipe I created is one that has even my dad asking for it over the regular spaghetti meal! I typically serve this with baked balsamic + garlic chicken (as I made today), turkey meatballs, or even a fillet of any white fish or just some steamed spinach which I actually prefer the best! You can add or omit any of the vegetables I have chosen, however , don't omit them all :) .
Spaghetti Squash + Loaded Veggie Sauce
- 1 large spaghetti squash cut width wise with all the seeds scooped out
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (for sautéing onion and veggies)
- 1/2 onion diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3-4 cups fresh tomatoes cut up (any variety works, I like Campari tomatoes)
- 1 whole zucchini diced
- 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (any variety)
- 1-2 cups diced eggplant (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (depending how much sauce you are making)
- 1 tsp dried basil OR even better, 2 tsp fresh diced basil
- 1/4 cup or 1 small can of organic no salt tomato paste (optional to thicken)
Options To Top:
- Chicken Breasts (marinate in olive oil and balsamic vinegar with 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- Turkey meatballs (ground turkey, minced onion, 1 egg beaten)
- Fillet of fish
- steamed spinach
1. Set oven to 350 degrees and put the cut spaghetti squash in right on top of the oven rack, cook until you can puncture with fork and its soft, about 40-45min.
2. for the sauce, in a large pot over medium high heat, add olive oil then the onion to soften. then add the garlic and ALL the other vegetables....let this all cook down for about 45 min. Keep it at high heat to start and then bring to a simmer and cover. Mash it as it cooks every 5-10 min so it all gets softened and breaks up. add in your balsamic and tomato paste once its all softened. cook down until it is the consistency you are looking for.
Top with any of the above or simply enjoy as is!!