In need of a good "Detox" or "clean up" after a Christmas full of more then a few cocktails and indulgences? This soup is for you! It may not look as appetizing as your holiday dessert spread, however it will certainly get you back on track to feeling healthy and strong! Its an all you can eat soup as its super low calorie and loaded with nutrients, fiber and contains no salt, fat or JUNK ingredients that soups you buy at the store often have. This is a great recipe for a meatless Monday, cold winter day, and even better for helping get rid of that nasty head cold as it is loaded with nutrients and will warm you from the inside out!
Not only is this recipe a nutrient powerhouse that will ensure you get in all your vegetable servings, but it is also very easy to do! The two necessary items you will need are a large soup pot and an immersion blender or Vitamix (or any large blender) . I use my vitamix!
- 1 large onion cut up
- 1 leek cut up
- 1 bundle of asparagus
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1/2 cup purple top turnip cleaned, skin cut off, diced
- 3 large heads of broccoli florets (about 4-5 cups worth) OR you can use 2 bags of frozen broccoli
- 1 garlic clove + fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- Optional : more frozen spinach to add AFTER
- 1. In large soup pot , simply add all your vegetables and enough water to cover it all. Bring to boil and let cook for about 10 minutes til the vegetables are softened. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- use your immersion blender OR transfer soup into your vitamix/blender (may have to do in batches) and blend up until it forms a nice consistency. PLEASE NOTE: Make sure your blender's lid is on TIGHT!!!! OR you could have a major disaster in the kitchen! If using the blender, simply add it all back into your pot and reheat it. Can add in some frozen peas or more spinach for added goodness and greens! :)